Sunday, February 16, 2014

Istanbul 10K run

In November, a group of teachers from TAC/SEV participated in some races in Istanbul.  This was my first race ever and what a place to do it.  My journey with running began last spring in Tarsus.  Just wanting to get in some more cardio, but not having the options of different elliptical machines like I was used to at my other gym, the only option I had was the treadmill.  It was nice to have support from other people I work with who are also runners, both beginning and hardcore.  I started off speed walking at an incline before working my way up to all out jogging and running.  Week by week, I found that I could run a little farther and a little faster.  In no way am I the greatest runner you'll ever know, but for me to be able to run a 10K in a race was a huge deal for me.  I never thought I would be able to say that I could do something like that, and certainly never imagined that it would be in Turkey.  To be able to travel with a group of five women who were all doing the race (either 10K, 15K, or the full marathon), was an honor and the perfect way to do my first race. 


Up bright and early to get the bus to the starting line, from SultanAhmet square
My friend Donna and I getting pumped on the bus ride to the starting line
Cluster of people getting ready to go!

Getting ready at the starting line

Running on the Bosphorus bridge that connects the Asian and European sides of Istanbul
Made it over the windy bridge!
Nearing the end of the race, and getting ready to cross the Golden Horn bridge
Overall, this was a really fun experience in Istanbul.  To be able to run through this city past historical landmarks and across those bridges, with thousands of other people, was a very memorable experience here in Turkey.  Now looking forward to my second 10K race here in Antalya in just a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment