Thursday, August 23, 2012

First update...quickly!

Most of you probably know that yes, I made it to Turkey, but not without some frustration!  My big moving day started with a continued allergic reaction to something from Friday evening.  My lips, eyes, and throat were extremely swollen, which is unusual for me.  On Sunday morning when it was still a problem, I went to a convenience care doctor at CVS (where I waited 2 hours !!!) and got a prescription for the reaction.  Then onto final packing, dinner, extremely sad good byes, and the most uncomfortable flight of my life.  I did meet the other teachers finally in Istanbul, where I was so out of it and hazy from Benadryl that I can hardly remember it.  When we got to the final destination in Adana, another teacher and I discovered that our luggage had not arrived.  We took a van to the apartments where we are staying (pictures later, they are amazing!), and after a loooong, hard day I was unable to get connected to wireless internet to let my family know I made it.  

BUT....things are better now :)  My luggage finally came yesterday and I am currently in Istanbul for a cultural orientation.  No internet at the apartment, but it should be coming soon.  It has been a whirlwind getting to know the other teachers, learning about the school, listening to policies, touring Tarsus, shopping, new food.....but my bags are here and my face is back to normal, so I am starting to enjoy it more :)  Everything is so new that I don't even know where to begin.  But I will post more interesting stuff (and pictures) later once I have more time.  In the meantime, I need to get yet another cup of tea and try to stay cool in the AC :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sure you'll drink about 90,000 cups of tea while you're there. Turks love their tea and they love making sure you drink as much as possible. Blessings on your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nicole I am glad to hear that things are better and that your face is back to normal :) Can't wait to see some pics!

    ReplyDelete