Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Oktoberfest....Turkey style

This past weekend, I enjoyed an Oktoberfest, Turkey style (just like the title says!).  Mr. Hanna, the headmaster at the school, spent years living and working in Germany and organized this trip to Adana for Oktoberfest.  While there were no Oktoberfest beers or sausages, we did get to enjoy some Beck's and of course Efes, potato pancakes, potato salad, and some German pastries.  There was also a band that played some German and Turkish songs as well as some DJ music mixed in.  It was a fun night out and I wish I had more photos to share, however most of my photos were pretty blurry since it was night.

(Turkish) German Oktoberfest dinner
School has been going pretty well over the past few weeks.  It has been really nice having the time to plan lessons without feeling rushed or staying late after school to be prepared.  I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but I have been taking tennis lessons twice a week at the Tarsus tennis club.  That's been a fun way to exercise and learn a new sport.  For those of you thinking that I am too uncoordinated for this, you may be right but it's still fun :)  Otherwise, I sometimes go to a group workout session that another teacher on campus organizes.  Some of the other teachers have figured out ways to get VPNs for watching Netflix or American television shows, but I keep putting it off because without TV I find I have been reading a lot more.  I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society to stay caught up with my Minnesotan book club.  It was written as a series of letters, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a unique perspective of WWII occupation.

This upcoming weekend, there is a trip planned to Karatepe learn about rug-making.  I should have more photos and more interesting things to post after that trip.  Overall, I feel like I have adjusted to life in Turkey and working at the school, which isn't to say that I don't miss people back home like crazy.  It's really been amazing to be able to Skype with my family, Nate, and other friends.  It somehow makes my experiences here in Turkey feel more complete when I can share them with the people back home I love. 

To end this post, here is a funny photo I took after the cleaning lady came in on Monday.  I came home after a long and hectic day at school and this made me smile:

My stockings all hung off my porch, with care :)


2 comments:

  1. I loved that book!
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,
    I was able to borrow the e-book from the library. I will let you know how I like it.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete