Sunday, October 21, 2012

Brief update

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I updated.  Unfortunately I don't have any photos to share this time.  It has been pretty busy at school and I have been trying to save my lira for the blue cruise coming up in a few days!  There will be no school from this upcoming Wednesday to Monday.  We fly out to Antalia on Wednesday evening, take a bus to Olympos, and then depart from Olympos to Fethiye on the blue cruise for the next few days.  Here is the link to my itinerary, if you want to check out what I will be seeing:

http://www.bluecruisesturkey.com/Cabin_Charters/Olympos-Fethiye.html

This past week at school, I had my first parent meetings.  My teaching partner did most of the work and translating since most parents only speak Turkish.  I thought the meetings went well and the parents seemed happy so that's a good sign!  On Wednesday all of the third graders went on a shopping field trip to Carrefour (kind of like a little Target).  I ended up being asked to go last minute, and it was really entertaining.  I think the trip was planned to go along with what they are doing in their Turkish social studies class.  I even bought little lamb steaks to season and grill on our new bbq at the apartment.  I had never grilled lamb before but it was actually really good.  That's about the most adventurous cooking I have done since I've been here.  On Friday, the students all dressed in red and white to celebrate Republic Day (celebrating Turkey's founding as a nation).  The students are otherwise required to wear uniforms, so it was fun to see them in their red and white outfits.

Tennis lessons continue to be a fun way to get out and get some exercise.  Our tennis instructor wants us to compete in a tournament at the beginners level but I don't know if I'm ready since I can't really serve :)  We'll see.  It's been nice to chat and skype and email with people from back home.  Since I took the job in Turkey, five couples I know have gotten engaged!  It's exciting to hear about but I do feel bad that I am not around for any of the celebrations and wedding related activities.  Maybe some people need to think about planning honeymoons over on this side of the globe so I can crash them :)  After this break, the next one is around Christmas, which I will be coming home for.  Then there is a two week break in January/February that I do not have plans for yet at this time.  Maybe Germany with my favorite mother :)??  If anybody has a hankering to do any travel at that time over in Europe, let me know and maybe we can meet up!

No comments:

Post a Comment