Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Rainy Days and Tuesdays Never Get Me Down!

Hi everybody,  this post is going to be about the rain that I have experienced here in Turkey!  Up until this week, it has been hot and humid.  Everyday.  If I could have gone to the beach or pool everyday, then I would have.  Some of you may have seen the photos from Kizkalesi beach (the one with the castle) that I went to a while back.  On Saturday, some of the elementary English teachers planned a trip to another beach called Kaprikali Koy.  This is a more rocky swimming area where you have to jump into the water to enter.  When we arrived, it did not look promising as there were dark clouds in the distance and no sunshine, not to mention no Turks at the beach.  But I did go in for a swim since we came all that way.  It was a very strange experience as the water at the top was cold (from the rain) and the water at the  bottom was warm.

Looming storm clouds at Yaprikali Koy
The storm clouds finally burst and it downpoured for about ten minutes.  I was fortunate to be under a roof at the time, but a few teachers, Donna and Kerry, were still out there swimming!  They said it was even hailing.  After all of that excitement, we were all ready for a seafood lunch.  Our department head recommended a seafood place that was incredibly delicious.  Fresh shrimp, calimari, and sea bass enjoyed right by the sea where they were caught.  It was an amazing meal.

The elementary English teachers who braved the rainy beach:  from left to right, Kathy, Stefanie, Athena, Kerry, me, and department head Donna.  DJ Donna is in the back :)  Taken at the seafood restaurant.
Yesterday was Thanksgiving in Canada, and the Canadian staff at the school hosted and organized an awesome dinner, with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, and even pumpkin pie.  Yes, I am really happy to say that I finally ate turkey in Turkey....I wish I had a photo!  It was a fun evening, and once again it ended with some torrential rain!  Luckily, my principal was leaving school at the same time and she gave the teachers who live off campus a ride home.  It was a funny ride home, and Pelin had a great sense of humor about us being wet and goofy (and maybe feeling a few glasses of wine!).  

It's only a few short weeks away until the October Bayram holiday!  I am hoping that all of this rain stays away while we are on the boat, but I am sure it will be amazing either way.  There are 9 teachers going on the blue cruise, and there is a good chance we will be the only ones on the 12 passenger  boat.  We may get additional days on this holiday, so hopefully I will be able to take advantage of that and see some more sights.  

Leaving you all with a photo of me with my turkey in Turkey and a big bowl of mashed potatoes :)


2 comments:

  1. You look great! So did you have to jump off the rocks to get into the water? No beach area to enter from?

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss your sweet mug!

    Love,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete